REDNESS – ROSACEA
If you suffer with flushing of the cheeks, nose, chin and forehead, you may possibly have Rosacea.
Inflammation is the root cause of redness, often referred to as erythema, which may be the cause of the skin’s impaired barrier, allowing irritants easy access to the sensitive nerve
endings, resulting in the diffused redness that may be present.
So, what exactly is Rosacea?
Rosacea is a chronic inflammatory disorder (meaning the inflammation persists over time) and affects up to 10% of
the adult population and may sometimes involve pimples and pustules on the face.
Early diagnosis is the key to successful management of Rosacea, although there is no cure, there are treatments available to help control it.
To treat Rosacea and redness it is key to target the root cause, by rebuilding the skin’s natural lipid barrier and helping to strengthen the blood vessels whilst also reducing inflammation.
There are four main subtypes of Rosacea:
Redness, flushing, visible blood vessels.
Redness, swelling and acne-like breakouts.
Skin thickens and has a bumpy texture, affecting the nose.
Eyes red and irritated, eyelids can be swollen and a person may have what looks like a sty.
Know your triggers:
Some factors can aggravate Rosacea or make it worse by increasing blood flow to the surface of the skin; these include:
● hot foods or drinks
● caffeine, spicy foods, and dairy products
● extremes of temperature
● sunlight, humidity, or wind
● stress, anxiety, anger, embarrassment
● vigorous exercise
● hot baths or saunas
● some medications, such as corticosteroids and drugs for treating high blood pressure
● acute medical conditions, such as a cold, cough, or fever
● some chronic medical conditions – such as hypertension (high blood pressure)
● alcohol which can also be a trigger for some people
Begin your Redness calming journey with:
● Vita Brite peel
● Dermasweep – Nucell or Probio infusion
● LED light therapy
● Diathermy – for treatment of broken capillaries
To find out more book in with one of our friendly skin experts today!